Deal Parochial is Shortlisted for Kent LTA’s Education Award for 2017.
Each year, Kent County Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) present awards to recognise significant achievements and contribution to tennis in our county area. There are several award categories that include “Coach”, “Club”, “Volunteer”, “Young Volunteer” and our category “Education”, which covers tennis in universities and senior schools, as well as in primary schools.
Being shortlisted for this award is wonderful recognition for our school’s numerous tennis achievements over 2017, which include:
- Each year group from year 1 to 6 receiving a term’s worth of curriculum PE tennis lessons at Deal Indoor Tennis Centre (DITC).
- At year end, having 62 different children (= 30% of the school) playing extra-curricular tennis each week through:
- The after school tennis club which runs twice a week at DITC.
- Tennis sessions given as part of the school’s additional needs programme.
- Supervised tennis play at lunchtimes.
- We were runners up in the Dover Schools’ Games, and the Kent LTA’s boys’ 8U Team and Doubles Tournaments, with a girls’ pair and another boys’ pair also qualifying for the 8U Doubles’ Finals.
- We hosted our own Deal Parochial Tennis Challenge Tournament at DITC against Wingham Primary School’s Tennis Club.
- During the summer, we went to the Eastbourne International Tennis Tournament with 23 children, 2 staff, 6 parents and 8 Manwood’s student helpers.
These achievements would not have been possible without the hard work and positive enthusiasm from our tennis playing pupils, their parents and our staff. Well done and congratulations to everyone – we will find out the Awards Results on 10th March 2018.