Deal Parochial’s Tennis Round-Up for Summer 2021.
With our curriculum tennis lessons and ‘additional needs’ tennis sessions already back in full swing this term, as well as our after-school tennis clubs starting up on our playground, we thought it would be nice to look back at some of our tennis highlights from last summer.
LEAGUE TENNIS AT THE WEEKENDS: 10 of our pupils represented us in various divisions of the Kent section of the National Junior Summer Tennis League. All the children played with great commitment and sportsmanship and were a credit to our school. Well done to:
- Casper, Jasper, Jack and Imogen (all Y2) who played in the 8U division at the Bromley Tennis Centre (now famous for being the place where Emma Raducanu trains!)
- Oscar and Dexter (both Y4) who played in the 9U division at West Malling, Gillingham and Frindsbury.
- Luca, Artie, Isla and Harley (all Y5) who competed in the 10U division at Wye.
STRAWBERRY SLAM 2021: We enjoyed our annual end-of-year tennis celebration, outside on our very own ‘centre court’, on Wednesday 14th July. Owing to COVID restrictions, the tennis matches and challenges were organised within year bubble groups.
Children from of Year R and Year 1 had fun in tennis-themed relay races against their respective class teacher and Ms Brown. The other classes then enjoyed watching 2 of their class mates competing against their teaching staff.
- Jasper and Casper (Y2) convincingly beat Ms Rolph and Ms Holman.
- Amelia and Reuben (Y3) narrowly lost to Mrs Porteous and Mrs K.
- Oscar and Dexter (Y4) eased to a win over Ms Warner and Ms Davis.
- Liam and Isla (Y5), thanks to some dominant net play, beat Ms Brown and Mrs Hodgson.
- Bobby and Evan (Y6) won against Ms Watson and Mr Earl.
It was a fantastic day of fun tennis, made even sweeter with the lovely strawberries that were shared out.
SCHOOL TENNIS AWARDS 2021: These were given out during the Strawberry Slam to recognise and celebrate the children’s tennis endeavours over the past year. Children deservedly received awards for commitment, sportsmanship and improvement. Awards were also given for ‘Player of the Year’ and ‘Doubles Team of the Year’.
Additionally, a number of ‘Top Effort’ Tennis Awards were given out; recipients included some of our youngest players in Year R who had thoroughly enjoyed their introduction to tennis through their term 6 pe lessons.
Well done to everyone.